⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] aerosol water

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:17:49 +0000

Dear Christiane

> > OK, I see there could be a distinction between in_air and in_cloudy_air.
> and in_clouds or in_snow etc...

> > If aerosol particles are in cloud water or in precipitation, are they
> still "ambient" aerosol? Do they still have a meaningful mass fraction
> of water?
>
> This distinction would not make sense anymore. It could be dry or
> ambient aerosol in air, or aerosol at a certain rel. humidity in air. Or
> they could be contained another phase like clouds or precip, but not at
> the same time in air.

As a result of all this, I understand that you need
  mass_fraction_of_water_in_ambient_aerosol_in_air
where "ambient" distinguishes it from a specified RH. Thanks for explaining
that. But if the aerosol is dry or in another phase, I don't think it is
ambient, so you would not include "ambient". Anyway, we will perhaps discuss
this again if/when such names are definitely proposed. :-)