⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Satellite community use of netCDF CF (GHRSST-PP)

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:05:06 -0800

Richard Ullman wrote:
> Not regarding GHRSST, but I too have been looking at how to map swath
> data into CF, in my case, I'm looking at the design for the
> NPP/NPOESS data products. I'd like to be able to provide a standard
> mapping, but some of the data model conventions we have
> just don't seem to map to CF.
Hi Richard,

There is no explicit support for swath data in CF, so it is not
surprising to hear that there are significant gaps relative to NPOESS
needs. And I know that there is a long tradition of relatively complex
encodings for satellite calibration information in the (HDF) files, as
well. But it might still make sense to develop a specific awareness of
where the gaps are that separate CF curvilinear grids from satellite
swath data. Possibly they can be addressed quickly. Or possibly CF and
NPOESS could be heading towards compatible targets at some time in the
not-too-distant future. Say, after the release of netCDF-4.

Having failed so far to submit comments on the GHRSST spec (read "guilty
conscience"), I understand that our workloads stand in our way
continually on these "good citizen" activities. Still, if you can find
the time ...

    - Steve