⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] species as species in chemical and aerosol names - "mercury"

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:16:14 +0100

Hi all,

Here is an explanation how the name was constructed:
surface_dry_deposition_mass_flux_of_mercury_expressed_as_mercury_dry_aerosol

substance (mercury_dry_aerosol)
process (surface dry deposition mass flux)
measure of mass (expressed as such, or expressed as mercury)

> surface_dry_deposition_mass_flux_of_mercury_via_dry_aerosol ?

'via' is not applicable here, because it refers to the deposition
pathway, not to the substance.

> replacing 'dry_aerosol' by 'in_dry_aerosol_phase' make the meaning
clearer?

This suggests, that the component of interest (here mercury) is only a
minor species within the total aerosol mass. This might apply to mercury
but not to other species, e.g. sulfate. Therefore I would like to keep
the name as it is.

> mercury_dry_aerosol_expressed_as_such

I like this suggestion, but from the HTAP exercise I realize that there
are still problems with the expression 'as_such'. I think it should
rather be expressed_as_mass_of_mercury

surface_dry_deposition_mass_flux_of_mercury_dry_aerosol_expressed_as_mass_of_mercury

another expample
surface_dry_deposition_mass_flux_of_all_nitrogen_oxides_expressed_as_mass_of_nitrogen

this can lead to very long names, e.g.
surface_dry_deposition_mass_flux_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol
_expressed_as_mass_of_particulate_organic_matter

but is very clear. What do you think?

Christiane