⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] axis attribute

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:29:03 -0700

Jonathan Gregory wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Jeff Cole has asked a question about the interpretation of the axis attribute
> in current version of CF. It's not clear to me either, so I wonder if others
> can remember or clarify the intention.
>
> In CF 4 we say
>
> "Because identification of a coordinate type by its units is complicated by
> requiring the use of an external software package [UDUNITS], we provide two
> optional methods that yield a direct identification. The attribute axis may be
> attached to a coordinate variable and given one of the values X, Y, Z or T
> which stand for a longitude, latitude, vertical, or time axis respectively."
>
> "Coordinate types other than latitude, longitude, vertical, and time are
> allowed. To identify generic spatial coordinates we recommend that the axis
> attribute be attached to these coordinates and given one of the values X, Y or
> Z. We attach no specific meaning to the axis values in this case, but note
> that they may provide a useful hint to an application that plots spatially
> oriented data."
>
> Then CF 4.1 says
>
> "Coordinates of latitude with respect to a rotated pole should be given units
> of degrees, not degrees_north or equivalents, because applications which use
> the units to identify axes would have no means of distinguishing such an axis
> from real latitude, and might draw incorrect coastlines, for instance. It
> would also not generally be appropriate to attach an axis attribute to a
> rotated-latitude coordinate variable."
>
> We don't understand the last exclusion. Why shouldn't rotated-latitude coord
> variables have axis="X"? To attach this would seem to "provide a useful hint
> to an application" about which to plot as the x-axis, and seems inconsistent
> with the recommendation to use the axis attribute for spatial axes even when
> they aren't lat, lon and vertical.

Im just looking at what I think is the same thing - "rotated lat/lon" from the WRF NMM model.

I think you are right, that the lat/lon coordinate variables should have axis=X or Y.

Im thinking we could specify the transformation, so that its treated like a projection. If anyone knows how to do this, or has a reference, please let me know. Ill try to post what my understanding is ASAP.