⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] species as species in chemical and aerosol names - "mercury"

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:15:52 +0000

Might replacing 'dry_aerosol' by 'in_dry_aerosol_phase' make the meaning clearer?

Roy.

>>> Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk> 11/11/2006 2:21 pm >>>
Dear Christiane

> > If I am interpreting the term "expressed_as" correctly, maybe this
> > should be:
> >surface_dry_deposition_mass_flux_of_mercury_dry_aerosol_expressed_as_mercury
>
> when I wrote
> mercury_expressed_as_such_dry_aerosol I was referring to the total
> aerosol mass, not only the mercury contained in it. Is this unclear?

Yes, I find "expressed_as_such_dry_aerosol" to be unclear. Now I understand
what you mean, though. But could you not just say
mercury_dry_aerosol_expressed_as_such?
I suppose that "mercury dry aerosol" is the name of a substance, and then
"expressed_as_such" is saying that you are measuring the mass of that
substance, which contrasts with "expressed_as_mercury", when you are measuring
the mass of mercury it contains.

I wonder if that makes sense to other people.