⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Is it possible to associate different attribute values with different array elements?

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:10:31 +0000

Dear Simon

> There is quite strong feeling here that we want to do it this way rather
> than separating out each channel into its own variable, however I cannot
> see how to associate such attributes *in a CF compliant way*. Is this
> possible? How could/should such a dataset be structured?

I can't see a way to do it either. I must say, it doesn't immediately make
sense to me to want to put values for different quantities (distinguished by
standard name and units) into the same data variable. That would be an
awkward variable for the user of the dataset. The idea of a physical variable
stored in an array is usually that is a single continuous quantity which
happens to have been discretised onto a grid. Can you explain a bit about
why you feel it is preferable to have different quantities in one variable?

Cheers

Jonathan