⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF and multi-forecast system ensemble data

From: Kettleborough, Jamie <jamie.kettleborough>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:41:32 +0000

Thanks Bryan,

I'm not sure I've fully got my head round what you are suggesting. As
I'm sure you're aware (even if it means dredging through the mega post -
sorry again) the whole issue of aggregation was not really the point of
Paco's original post. It was something I introduced to try and
understand how CMOR/IPCC AR4 data might be bought into the same ensemble
framework. I think this has to be thought about in this context though
- as ensembles are, by their nature, built up from individual model
runs.

Are you suggesting 'external_dictionary' attributes should only be
applied to pseudo-coordinates like ensemble/realization?

Under your suggestion could you encode the IPCC AR4 data something like

float temperature(time,realization,lat,lon):
   temperature:coordinates = 'experiment_id source institution' ;

char experiment_id(realization,len100):
   experiment_id:external_vocabulary = 'http://www-
pcmdi.llnl.gov/ipcc/about_ipcc.php' ; // may not be best URI... but..

char source(realization,len100):
   source:external_vocabulary = 'http://www-
pcmdi.llnl.gov/ipcc/about_ipcc.php'

char institution(realization,len100):
   source:external_vocabulary = 'http://www-
pcmdi.llnl.gov/ipcc/about_ipcc.php'

 experiment_id=['720 ppm stabilization experiment (SRES A1B)',
                '550 ppm stabilization experiment (SRES A1B)', ... ]

 source=['HadGEM1 (2004): atmosphere: N96L38; ocean: (1.0-0.3 x 1.0);sea
ice: multiple thickness categories, EVP ; land: MOSES2',
        'HadGEM1 (2004): atmosphere: N96L38; ocean: (1.0-0.3 x 1.0);sea
ice: multiple thickness categories, EVP ; land: MOSES2', .... ]

 institution=[etc...]

(I'm trying to cross check I understand what you are suggesting - sorry
if I'm way off track).

And Paco could do something similar for ENSEMBLES? Or of course we
could agree the common ground for ENSEMBLES, IPCC, (and/or MO-QUMP,
cp.net) and publish a new dictionary or sets of dictionaries? (I guess
the GRIB2 support for ensembles gives some indication of the relevant
meta data WMO would expect to see?)

For aggregation you would not try and capture any of the information in
the global attributes - you would only, in effect, allow aggregation
along pre-existing dimensions (even if they are scalar dimensions).

Thanks,

Jamie