⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF and multi-forecast system ensemble data

From: Kettleborough, Jamie <jamie.kettleborough>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:25:53 +0100

Hello John,

> Specifically, are we talking about how a series of files should be
> written, or one big file? Assuming the former, is there a preferred
> way to write a single file? All output from one (ensemble) run per
> file? A single hour per file? The same hour for all ensembles in one
> file?

I'm not sure if this really answers your question but I think one of the
things we are trying to do is set up the relevant 'framework' so that
you can write either a series of files or one big file, and make sense
of the meta data in either case. We aren't trying to say one way is
better than the other - that depends on context.

That said, Paco initiated this thread on the basis that some
applications need to go for something that looks more like the 'big
file' case where variables in one file have dimensions that are
populated with data from different models.

Does this help - or have I misunderstood your question?

Jamie