⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] [Fwd: Re: Problems reading NetCDF data - get NaNs]

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:02:12 -0700

Jon,

It certainly does look like the wording as-is (as you have quoted) is
self-contradictory. But the phrase "units of the packed values", while
intuitively clear, is actually a mis-statement, since "units" do not
really apply to the packed data. The right wording is tough to find ....

How about

    "When a variable uses a packed encoding (i.e. the variable has
    scale_factor and/or add_offset attributes -- see section 8.1)
    missing values are interpreted in the packed encoding. In other
    words, grid cells with missing values are detected before the data
    are unpacked."

Not entirely happy with this, either ...

    - Steve