⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] question about use of standard name to identify coord vars associated with a grid...

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:46:44 -0600

Hi Ed,

Recognizing that a variable contains longitude or latitude values is a
separate problem from knowing which variables contain the coordinate values
for a given variable in the file. The association between a variable that
contains field data, and the variables that describe the grid of the field
data, is *always* made using either "coordinate variables" or "auxilliary
coordinate variables". Thus no matter how many grids are present in a
single file, variables always point directly to the associated variables
that contain their grid coordinate values.

For each variable that contains field data (as opposed to coordinate data),
once you know which variables contain the coordinate values, you need to
identify what type of coordinate it is. For latitude and longitude
coordinates the units must match one of the udunits specified versions of
degrees_east or degrees_north. But these terms don't make sense for the
coordinates in the rotated pole grid. So we decided to allow the use of
the generic unit "degrees" and to use the standard_name attribute to
identify that the variable contains latitudes or longitudes relative to a
rotated pole.

Hope that helps,
Brian