⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] cell metrics

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 08:50:59 -0600

Hi Jonathan,

I think adding a generic name like area to the standard name list can only
lead to ambiguity. If two variables have the attribute
standard_name="area", and you want to know whether or not they're
comparable, the question "area of what?" must be answered using information
not contained in the standard name. But the the standard name is supposed
to be used to answer the question "are these quantities comparable?".

Brian