⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Adding sensor_elevation_angle to standard_name

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 20:32:48 -0700

The phrase "This angle is measured starting from the horizontal plane directly in front of sensor.? is problematic. A plane is typically understood to be infinite in all directions, so the horizontal plane is not ?in front of the sensor?, but coincident with the sensor. (And, as noted elsewhere, perpendicular to the gravity-based zenith. I agree with the flow of discussion regarding zenith, and think ?perpendicular to the zenith direction? would be commonly understood and would work so long as zenith is in fact defined elsewhere. Else,' perpendicular to Earth gravity' is OK.)

Relevant note: I believe in a number of sensitive applications zenith is necessary calculated as perpendicular to center of earth mass, which is different than local gravity because of inconsistently dense materials near the earth?s surface. So whether you want to define *the* zenith for all CF uses, or *a* zenith for the current CF uses, may be worth discussing. Doing the former would be hard to undo later.

John

John Graybeal
jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
650-450-1853