⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new variable name request

From: Taylor, Karl E. <taylor13>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 16:56:41 +0000

Hi All,

For reference, a measurement usually referred to as surface air
temperature is a measurement taken at about 2 meters height above the
surface (of the earth or ocean).? It has a standard name
"air_temperature" (which also applies to temperatures higher up in the
atmosphere).? To precisely specify the height above the surface at which
the surface air temperature is measured, a scalar coordinate is defined
with standard_name "height", with the value set to the actual height of
measurement (usually 2 meters, as noted above).? Note that this
near-surface air temperature is different from "surface_temperature"
which is the temperature of the surface itself.

Something similar is done for surface wind speed measurements, but the
height is typically 10 meters, not 2 meters.

In both cases, no special standard name is defined for these
near-surface measurements.

best regards,
Karl