⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for norm. direct radiation and atm. mass content of rain and snow + comments on existing descriptions

From: beate.geyer at hzg.de <beate.geyer>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 09:08:59 +0200

Dear CF-metadata group,
we have several proposals, which we send as a numbered list. Thanks for
your help beforehands!!
1.
Basing on surface_direct_downwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air we want to
apply for the new standard name
surface_normalized_direct_downwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air for use in
renewable energy tasks.
It is the surface_direct_downwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air on a plane,
oriented perpendicular to the incoming beam.
New name: surface_normalized_direct_downwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air
atmosphere. ?Normalized_direct" radiation is radiation that has followed a
direct path from the sun to a plane perpendicular to the direction of the
sun (in contrast to the ?direct? radiation, which falls on a plane
horizontal at the earth surface). Downwelling radiation is radiation from
above. It does not mean "net downward". The sign convention is that
"upwelling" is positive upwards and "downwelling" is positive downwards.
The term "shortwave" means shortwave radiation. In accordance with common
usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called
"flux density" in physics.
Unit: W m-2

2.

Analog to atmosphere_mass_content_of_cloud_liquid_water we want to apply
for two new standard names: atmosphere_mass_content_of_rainwater and
atmosphere_mass_content_of_snow. It is the rain water or snow content
resp. (excluding the cloud liquid water and cloud snow content).
New name: atmosphere_mass_content_of_rainwater
content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to
the top of the atmosphere. "Rainwater" refers to the precipitating part of
liquid water in the atmosphere ? the cloud liquid water is excluded. For
the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names
including content_of_atmosphere_layer are used.
Unit: kg m-2
New name: atmosphere_mass_content_of_snow
content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to
the top of the atmosphere. "Snow" refers to the precipitating part of snow
in the atmosphere ? the cloud snow content is excluded. For the content
between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including
content_of_atmosphere_layer are used.
Unit: kg m-2

3.

The description of atmosphere_mass_content_of_cloud_liquid_water is
incomplete, as "cloud_liquid_water" is not mentioned.
New Description: "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The
"atmosphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from
the surface to the top of the atmosphere. "Cloud liquid water" refers to
the liquid phase of cloud water. For the content between specified levels
in the atmosphere, standard names including content_of_atmosphere_layer
are used.

4.
The description of equivalent_potential_temperature is misleading because
the term "equivalent" is not explained at all. The quantity does not exist
for sea water.
New description: "equivalent potential temperature" refers to a
thermodynamic quantity, with its natural logarithm proportional to the
entropy of moist air, that is conserved in a reversible moist adiabatic
process. (AMS-glossary)

The standard name air_potential_temperature is misleading because the
description refers to air and sea water.
We recommend replacing the standard name by potential_temperature.

Best regards,
Beate Geyer and Ronny Petrik
Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht
Zentrum f?r Material- und K?stenforschung GmbH
Max-Planck-Stra?e 1 I 21502 Geesthacht I Deutschland/Germany

Gesch?ftsf?hrung/Board of Management: Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Kaysser, Silke Simon
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Ministerialdirigent Dr. Herbert Zeisel
Amtsgericht L?beck HRB 285 GE (Register Court)
Internet: http://www.hzg.de