⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposal for new standard name: air_gap

From: Aaron Sweeney - NOAA Affiliate <aaron.sweeney>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 14:06:53 -0600

Hi,

     I haven't found an existing CF standard name for this concept (nor a
previous discussion), so I am proposing a new standard name, as below:

Proposed Standard Name: air_gap

Canonical Units: m

instantaneous height of the designated low steel value of a bridge and the
instantaneous sea surface height. The height of the designated low steel
value of a bridge may change due to traffic or other loads.

     Note: I did make some effort to review existing standard name
patterns, but the results (below) were coming out rather long, which may be
an impediment toward understanding and adoption, but I include them here
for completeness:
height_difference_between_instantaneous_designated_low_steel_value_of_bridge_and_instantaneous_sea_surface_height
-or-
height_difference_between_instantaneous_designated_low_steel_value_of_bridge_and_instantaneous_sea_level

     The air gap is used for safety of navigation into and out of ports
with bridges.

Cordially,
Aaron

--