⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for new standard names

From: Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC <alison.pamment>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 11:53:55 +0000

Dear Bob and Jonathan,

Thank you, Bob, for proposing these three new standard names and to Jonathan for commenting. Apologies for the delay in looking at these proposals.

I agree that these proposals are a useful complement to the existing away_from_instrument names. I have constructed definitions based on those of the existing names and added some cross-references between the two sets.

direction_of_radial_vector_toward_instrument (Canonical units: degree)
'The phrase "direction_of_X" means direction of a vector, a bearing. The direction is measured positive clockwise from due north. The direction_of_radial_vector_toward_instrument is the direction opposite to that in which the instrument itself is pointing. The "instrument" (examples are radar and lidar) is the device used to make an observation. The standard name direction_of_radial_vector_away_from_instrument should be used for a data variable having the opposite sign convention.'

radial_sea_water_velocity_toward_instrument (Canonical units: m s-1)
'A velocity is a vector quantity. "Radial velocity toward instrument" means the component of the velocity along the line of sight of the instrument where positive implies movement toward the instrument (i.e. inward). The "instrument" (examples are radar and lidar) is the device used to make an observation. The standard name radial_sea_water_velocity_away_from_instrument should be used for a data variable having the opposite sign convention.'

radial_velocity_of_scatterers_toward_instrument (Canonical units: m s-1)
'A velocity is a vector quantity. "Radial velocity toward instrument" means the component of the velocity along the line of sight of the instrument where positive implies movement toward the instrument (i.e. inward). The "instrument" (examples are radar and lidar) is the device used to make the observation, and the "scatterers" are what causes the transmitted signal to be returned to the instrument (examples are aerosols, hydrometeors and refractive index irregularities), of whatever kind the instrument detects. The standard name radial_velocity_of_scatterers_away_from_instrument should be used for a data variable having the opposite sign convention.'

Similarly, cross-references to the new names should be added to the definitions of the existing ones.

direction_of_radial_vector_away_from_instrument (Canonical units: degree)
'The phrase "direction_of_X" means direction of a vector, a bearing. The direction is measured positive clockwise from due north. The direction_of_radial_vector_away_from_instrument is the direction in which the instrument itself is pointing. The "instrument" (examples are radar and lidar) is the device used to make an observation. The standard name direction_of_radial_vector_toward_instrument should be used for a data variable having the opposite sign convention.'

radial_sea_water_velocity_away_from_instrument (Canonical units: m s-1)
'A velocity is a vector quantity. Radial velocity away from instrument means the component of the velocity along the line of sight of the instrument where positive implies movement away from the instrument (i.e. outward). The "instrument" (examples are radar and lidar) is the device used to make an observation. The standard name radial_sea_water_velocity_toward_instrument should be used for a data variable having the opposite sign convention.'

radial_velocity_of_scatterers_away_from_instrument (Canonical units: m s-1)
'A velocity is a vector quantity. "Radial velocity away from instrument" means the component of the velocity along the line of sight of the instrument where positive implies movement away from the instrument (i.e. outward). The "instrument" (examples are radar and lidar) is the device used to make the observation, and the "scatterers" are what causes the transmitted signal to be returned to the instrument (examples are aerosols, hydrometeors and refractive index irregularities), of whatever kind the instrument detects. The standard name radial_velocity_of_scatterers_toward_instrument should be used for a data variable having the opposite sign convention.'

I think all these can be accepted for inclusion in the standard name table. Unless any further comments are received they will be added in the June update.

Best wishes,
Alison

Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/Centre for Environmental Data Analysis Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk