⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name - number_of_missing_observations

From: Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 12:48:02 +0000

Dear Dan and Martin,

Thank you, Dan, for proposing this new name and to Martin for commenting.

I agree that this quantity is a useful addition to standard names. The name, definition and units follow closely the pattern of the existing name number_of_observations and will complement the information stored in variables of that name. The following name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the June update.

Standard name: number_of_missing_observations (Canonical units: 1)
'A variable with the standard name of number_of_missing_observations contains the number of discrete observations or measurements that were not available to derive the values of another data variable. The linkage between the data variable and the variable with a standard_name of number_of_missing_observations is achieved using the ancillary_variables attribute.'

Best wishes,
Alison

Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/Centre for Environmental Data Analysis Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
R25, 2.22
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

this looks like a sensible addition to me. There are other cases where we have names which have a degree of redundancy in the sense you describe, such as the "minus_X" names, for which the values could, obviously, be derived from "X". As I understand it the important question is whether a set of data values specifying the number of missing observations could be clearly labelled with existing CF metadata and the answer is that they cannot. Hence, I support adding this term,

regards,

Martin.