⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name of isobaric zonal mean eddy meridional temperature advection

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 12:43:55 +0000

Dear Martin

Apologies for the Fwds that I put in last time. I have removed them this time.

> covariance_over_longitude_of_northward_wind_and_air_temperature,
>
> with the understanding, which should be mentioned in the description, that the variable should be used with a vertical coordinate and the covariance over longitude should be taken along iso-surfaces of that vertical coordinate.

Yes, I agree with that understanding.

I note that we already have the construction
covariance_of_X_and_Y[_over_Z]
in the guidelines, but we've not used it before. I think the over_Z is better
straight after the covariance, so it's clear what it applies to. Is that OK?
Would "wrt" be preferable to "over"?

Another issue which applies to other standard names containing X_and_Y, like
the ones you've been discussing with Alison, is which order to choose for X and
Y, since it's commutative. A possibility is to put them in alphabetical order,
but e.g. humidity comes before northward and after eastward. If one is a
vector component and one a scalar, we could choose a particular way round on
that basis, but not if both are scalars. Or we could permit both, with one
being an alias of the other, except that we don't usually introduce synonyms
deliberately - aliases are just to allow us to change our mind with backward
compatibility.