⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Some standard name updates to improve consistency.

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 12:26:40 +0000

Dear Jonathan,

On the question of the use of the phrase "ambient_aerosol" when referring to the aerosol itself, rather than to the particles within the aerosol, I fear that my comment which you quote may have become detached from the intended context.

I am happy with the distinction between "aerosol" (the suspension of particle in air) and "aerosol_particles" (the particles which are suspended). My comment to Alison referred to the use of the qualifier "ambient" when talking about the aerosol itself: is it necessary or useful?

The issue cam up because there are 5 standard names using the phrase "dust_ambient_aerosol_particles_direct_radiative_effect" which I suggested changing to "dust_aerosol_direct_radiative_effect". This would be consistent with the usage in the literature, which would, I believe, make the terms easier to read. In this case, there is nothing wrong with referring to the aerosol suspension. Alison agreed with these points, but would like to retain "ambient", as in "dust_ambient_aerosol_direct_radiative_effect". When talking about particles within an aerosol it is very important to distinguish between measurements representative of their state in the atmospheric suspension vs. the state they might be in after sampling. "ambient", when qualifying "aerosol_particles", means that we are describing the particles as they exist in the aerosol. As a qualification of "aerosol" I can't see that it has any meaning.

The 4 terms which you refer to using "aerosol" rather than "aerosol_particles" are ones which Alison agreed to change to include "particles" earlier in this thread. These are all terms which are clearly intended to refer only to the particles.

regards,

Martin