⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Some standard name updates to improve consistency.

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 12:20:27 +0000

Hi Karl,

OK .. it looks to me as though there is some blurring between, on the one hand, the idea of an attenuation rate (the rate at which a flux we are measuring is attenuated) and, on the other hand, an attenuation coefficient (a property of a medium defined in terms of a hypothetical or reference flux). However, if that doesn't worry the people using the term, we can leave it as it is.

I've found one paper on the subject which indicates that the spectrally resolved attenuation coefficient is, to a large extent, independent of sea water properties and only depends on the spectral frequency. The spectrally averaged attenuation coefficient varies with solar zenith angle and depth because these affect the spectrum and hence the weighting of the spectral average (Lee et al, doi:10.1029/2004JC002780).

regards,

Martin