⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] same attribute name in variable and in global

From: David Hassell <david.hassell>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 14:22:46 +0000

Hi Lars,

Thanks for bringing this up. Here is the background, as I understand it, to
the data model description of global attributes.

The conventions do not state rules for combining attributes that appear
both globally and on variables; rightly so, because there is no generically
correct way to do it, even assuming that they are consistent. Which order
to you concatenate strings? What if the attributes are numbers? Bearing
this in mind, and noting that i) variable attributes take precedence
(whatever that means!) and ii) the data model has no concept of a file
(this is deliberate, as one of the aims of the data model is to transcend
the file format), leads to the data model saying that "*netCDF global file
attributes apply to every data variable in the file, except where they are
superseded by netCDF data variable attributes with the same name.*"

There was some of interesting discussion on this, around 6 years ago, in
Trac ticket #95 (starting at
https://cf-trac.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/95#comment:59). The current
discussion, and the one in the Trac ticket, highlights that there are
multiple interpretations of the conventions in common use, and that not all
of these interpretations are suitable for all users.

Even though the data model interpretation has to be as described, this does
not preclude a software implementation of the data model from adding extra
functionality to record the provenance of attributes, or even combing
global/variable attributes in a particular manner. Software does this sort
of thing all the time, for example in remembering netCDF variable names,
which are also not part of the data model. For example, the cf-python
library will note which field properties were global attributes in a file
that it has read, so when you write the field back to disk it can create
the same global attributes (assuming there that no inconsistencies have
been introduced after the read ...).

I hope this is useful,

All the best,
David