⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Addition of HFC standard names

From: Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 16:48:21 +0000

Dear Dan, All,

Thank you, Dan, for proposing these six new standard names and to all those who have provided comments.

The standard names as proposed are absolutely fine - we do already have about eighty existing hfc/cfc/hcfc names. The quantities would all have a canonical unit of '1' as they are dimensionless. The descriptions are certainly important and it is indeed our usual practice to include the IUPAC name in the definition (if it is not used as the species identifier in the standard name itself). Standard names consist of lower case and upper case letters, digits and underscores. Punctuation characters such as commas are not used, which immediately excludes many IUPAC names from the standard name itself.

The definitions are built from standard chunks of text, usually presented in the same order, and we agree definitions of new terminology at the same time as agreeing the names on the mailing list. Based on the names and descriptions already provided, and on the definitions of existing names, we would have the following.

mole_fraction_of_hfc134a_in_air (Canonical unit: 1)
'Mole fraction is used in the construction mole_fraction_of_X_in_Y, where X is a material constituent of Y. A chemical or biological species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as "nitrogen" or a phrase such as "nox_expressed_as_nitrogen". The chemical formula for hfc134a is CF3CFH2. The IUPAC name for hfc134a is 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane.'

mole_fraction_of_hfc143a_in_air (Canonical unit: 1)
'Mole fraction is used in the construction mole_fraction_of_X_in_Y, where X is a material constituent of Y. A chemical or biological species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as "nitrogen" or a phrase such as "nox_expressed_as_nitrogen". The chemical formula for hfc143a is CF3CH3. The IUPAC name for hfc143a is 1,1,1-trifluoroethane.'

mole_fraction_of_hfc125_in_air (Canonical unit: 1)
'Mole fraction is used in the construction mole_fraction_of_X_in_Y, where X is a material constituent of Y. A chemical or biological species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as "nitrogen" or a phrase such as "nox_expressed_as_nitrogen". The chemical formula for hfc125 is CF3CF2H. The IUPAC name for hfc125 is 1,1,1,2,2-pentafluoroethane.'

mole_fraction_of_hfc152a_in_air (Canonical unit: 1)
Mole fraction is used in the construction mole_fraction_of_X_in_Y, where X is a material constituent of Y. A chemical or biological species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as "nitrogen" or a phrase such as "nox_expressed_as_nitrogen". The chemical formula for hfc152a is CF2HCH3. The IUPAC name for hfc152a is 1,1-difluoroethane.'

mole_fraction_of_hfc32_in_air (Canonical unit: 1)
'Mole fraction is used in the construction mole_fraction_of_X_in_Y, where X is a material constituent of Y. A chemical or biological species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as "nitrogen" or a phrase such as "nox_expressed_as_nitrogen". The chemical formula for hfc32 is CF2H2. The IUPAC name for hfc32 is difluoromethane.'

mole_fraction_of_hfc23_in_air (Canonical unit: 1)
'Mole fraction is used in the construction mole_fraction_of_X_in_Y, where X is a material constituent of Y. A chemical or biological species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as "nitrogen" or a phrase such as "nox_expressed_as_nitrogen". The chemical formula for hfc23 is CF3H. The IUPAC name for hfc23 is trifluoromethane.'

As these names and definitions are very similar to existing ones, and since the discussion seems to have reached agreement on the general approach, these names are accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the next update (planned for 9th April).

Jim is correct that it isn't necessary to propose the long names to the mailing list, because they are not standardized. As David explained, long_names are sometimes agreed within projects or between particular groups who share their data, but the content of the long_name attribute is not governed by the CF conventions.

Best wishes,
Alison

Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/Centre for Environmental Data Analysis Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk