⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Addition of HFC standard names

From: David Hassell <david.hassell>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 11:18:02 +0000

Hello Roy,

The text at
http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.7/cf-conventions.html#long-name
doesn't include any mandatory circumstances, as I read it:

*"For backwards compatibility with COARDS this attribute is optional. But
it is highly recommended that either this or the standard_name attribute
defined in the next section be provided to make the file self-describing.
If a variable has no long_name attribute then an application may use, as a
default, the standard_name if it exists, or the variable name itself."*

What do you think?

All the best,
David