⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] too many eddies in standard names

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2019 08:39:54 +0000

Hello Jonathan, Karl,

I don't understand why this is considered an "error" in the standard names. There are many cases where people have put terms in their GMD papers and claimed that they are "CF standard names" without taking the trouble to put them through the discussion and approval process of the CF Convention. This is a clear procedural error which happened in several MIPs ... we obviously need to improve communication on the procedures.

In answer to Karl's question: there are no approved or aliased terms of the form "....mesoscale_advection" in the CF Standard Name list. The approved terms consistently use the form "mesoscale/submesoscale_eddy_advection".

I didn't follow the discussion on these terms when they were added .. Alison may be able to say more about why the "eddy" term is included,

regards,

Martin