⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name for 14CO2

From: Wesloh, Daniel <dfw5129>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 22:37:07 +0000

Hello everyone,

Roy kindly pointed out that the paper I referenced used uppercase D14C,
not lowercase d14C.
The reference trail from that paper leads to the Stuiver and Polach
(1977) paper referenced here.
I also just confirmed with the person doing the analysis that they use
the 13CO2 correction for their reported values,
so a definition including that update would be:

enrichment_of_14C_in_air_expressed_as_uppercase_delta_14C (Canonical unit: 1e-3)
'Isotopic enrichment of 14C, often called d14C or delta14C (lower case delta), is a parameterisation of the 14C/12C isotopic ratio in the sample with respect to the isotopic ratio in a reference standard. It is computed using the formula (((14C/12C)sample / (14C/12C)standard) - 1) * 1000. The quantity called D14C, or Delta14C (upper case delta) is d14C corrected for isotopic fractionation using the 13C/12C ratio as follows: D14C = d14C - 2(dC13 + 25)(1+d14C/1000). If the sample is enriched in 14C relative to the standard, then the data value is positive. Reference: Stuiver, M. and H.A. Polach, 1977, Discussion reporting of 14C data, Radiocarbon, Volume 19, No. 3, 355-363, doi: 10.1017/S0033822200003672. The reference standard used in the calculation of delta14C should be specified by attaching a long_name attribute to the data variable. "C" means the element carbon and "14C" is the radioactive isotope "carbon-14", having six protons and eight neutrons and used in radiocarbon dating.'

My first email was based on an incorrect understanding of the issues
involved.
I was too eager to join the discussion I neglected my due diligence in
understanding.

Sorry for the confusion. I will be more careful in the future.

Daniel