⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Putting the units in a CF standard name: area_fraction

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 15:51:21 +0000

Dear Jonathan,

we could certainly take that approach, though the definitions are not always accessible to people looking at the standard name, so they do not compensate for ambiguity in the name itself.

The current text '"Area fraction" means the fraction of horizontal area.' could be replaced with

"Area Fraction" is a dimensionless number representing a relative or proportional area. It may be expressed as a fraction, percentage or any other unit that conforms to "1". It is evaluated as the area of interest divided by the grid cell area, scaled for the units chosen.

I still feel that there is a case for changing the name to, for example, "relative_area" in order to reduce confusion caused by people who assume that a fraction is a quantity that does not have units,

regards,

Martin