⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CMIP6 Confusion regarding carbon flux units

From: Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 13:07:26 +0000

Dear Chris, Martin, Roy,

I am sorry to hear that confusion is occurring regarding the carbon flux names in C4MIP. I certainly take Chris's point that it would be very unfortunate if the data contain large errors due to misunderstanding of what the variables should contain. However, I do agree with Martin that to change the units of the names to 'kgC' would not be CF compliant because kgC is not a unit in itself, whereas kg clearly is.

I think Roy is right that we need to try and address any confusion via the standard name itself, rather than the units. I am getting the sense that people aren't really understanding the "expressed_as" syntax, even though its inclusion is specifically to address the difference between kg of C and kg of CO2. I haven't had a lot of time to think about this, but my first reaction would be to suggest changing the "expressed_as" names along the following lines:
surface_downward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon -> surface_downward_mass_flux_of_carbon_contained_in_carbon_dioxide
(just to give an example). For PMIP we did introduce names such as precipitation_flux_containing_17O, so perhaps a similar approach could work for C4MIP?

I think Daniel Neumann also raised some questions last year about the use of "expressed_as" in relation to aerosol names. I confess to still not having worked my way through the whole of that discussion (ironically because I was so occupied with CMIP names last year), but perhaps this is the right time to have a thorough review. It might lead to a lot of aliases being created, but I would be supportive of doing that if it leads to improved clarity across the board. We could start by addressing the names needed for C4MIP and work through the others in batches. Chris, do you think improving the names would help to address the problem?

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065