⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Groups proposal

From: Daniel Lee <Daniel.Lee>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 10:24:02 +0000

Dear group,

I'd like to bring two items to your attention:
1. https://github.com/cf-convention/cf-conventions/pull/145, a proposed extension to the CF Conventions governing the use of netCDF-4 groups, and
2. https://github.com/cf-convention/cf-conventions/issues/144, the discussion of this proposal on GitHub.

The proposal has implementations in widely adopted open source libraries. The extensive discussion surrounding it has produced several refinements that round out the text in my opinion very well. The last contribution to the discussion took place 26 days ago and I therefore propose that the proposal is summarised and (hopefully) approved as described in http://cfconventions.org/rules.html.

I've provided additional background information beneath my signature.

Thanks very much and best regards,
Daniel

Dr Daniel Lee
Software and Data Formats Engineer
System Engineering and Projects Division
?
EUMETSAT
Eumetsat-Allee 1
64295 Darmstadt
Germany
?
Tel: +49 6151 807 3250
Fax: +49 6151 807 5550
E-mail:?daniel.lee at eumetsat.int
Web:?www.eumetsat.int

Some background information:
Point (1) was discussed at the Advancing netCDF-CF for the Geosciences workshop that took place from 19-20 June 2018 at University of Reading, UK. The proposal itself was first submitted on 2 Aug 2018. It has been discussed and refined - I find - extensively and is implemented by the
- the NCOs (http://nco.sourceforge.net/)
- work on GDAL (https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/1180) - this includes the dread "lateral search" algorithm. It has also been tested and now merged into GDAL's master branch.

The full set of changes which (1) would introduce can be found here:
https://github.com/cf-convention/cf-conventions/pull/145/files?utf8=%E2%9C%93&diff=unified&short_path=7231502#diff-72315029966a0acd1d12ff8e03994c88
The link is set up so that it shows a "rich diff" of the changes, rendered as they would be in the document. GitHub can only show this for one document at a time, so the link brings you directly to the rendering of Chapter 2, the one containing the new section on groups. Additional changes have been made to chapter 1 (adding definitions to glossary). Also, Appendix I has been added in order to show some examples of good practices using the Groups proposal, analogue to Appendix H showing examples of discrete geometries. All other changes are typographical (referencing the new material in the table of contents, for example). Via the link above you can browse all changes to all files and if you click the document symbol next to the "<>" button above each document you can toggle between the source text and its rendered form.

Any email message from EUMETSAT is sent in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by EUMETSAT, except where provided for in a written agreement or contract or if explicitly stated in the email. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of EUMETSAT. This message and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, dissemination or distribution (in whole or in part) of its contents is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system.