⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] question about proper cell bounds for ocean_volume_transport_across_line

From: Matthias Lankhorst <mlankhorst>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 17:33:59 -0800

Hello,

still trying to resolve how to define my section endpoints and which way
is counted as positive...

While I can provide (scalar) lat/lon that would be something like the
section mid-point, and proper cell_bounds with these, the result is that
the user then knows a lat/lon box where my data are from. The user does
not yet know which ones of the box vertices are my actual section
endpoints (could be the NW-to-SE corner or SW-to-NE). I can see a
solution along the following idea:

1. We define lat/lon variables with separate variables linked in
cell_bound attributes. We clarify that these are interpreted
sequentially, i.e. the line connects latbounds(i,1)/lonbounds(i,1) to
latbounds(i,2)/lonbounds(i,2) and so on. Default assumption is that
the section between the points is shaped as great circle. Neither the
lat/lon nor the bounds have to be monotonic, in order to express
odd-shaped sections like OSNAP. Beware: for an east-west section across
e.g. 16N, the latitude bounds would be [16 16], which might be confusing
since the size of that cell would appear to be be zero.

2. We point to these lat/lon variables in the "coordinates" attribute of
the actual transport data.

3. We amend the standard_name definition to clarify that when looking in
the direction in which the line is sequentially defined in the lat/lon
bounds, positive is considered to be 90 degrees to the left. I assume
this would not only apply to my particular standard_name, but all of:
  ocean_volume_transport_across_line
  sea_ice_area_transport_across_line
  sea_ice_transport_across_line
  sea_water_transport_across_line
  snow_transport_across_line_due_to_sea_ice_dynamics

Together, that might look like the following. I guess the fundamental
logic is that the lat/lon are not true coordinates with each having its
own dimension, but they are auxiliaries and each have the same dimension
expressing the count of stations along the line (much like a trajectory
versus an orthogonal grid).

LATITUDE(numberofsegments)
  standard_name="latitude"
  axis="Y"
  cell_bounds="LATITUDE_BOUNDS"

LATITUDE_BOUNDS(numberofsegments,dim2)

LONGITUDE(numberofsegments)
  standard_name="longitude"
  axis="X"
  cell_bounds="LONGITUDE_BOUNDS"

LONGITUDE_BOUNDS(numberofsegments,dim2)

TIME(TIME)
  standard_name="longitude"
  axis="T"
  cell_bounds="TIME_BOUNDS"

TIME_BOUNDS(TIME,dim2)

PRESSURE(PRESSURE)
  standard_name="sea_water_pressure_due_to_sea_water"
  axis="Z"
  positive="down"
  cell_bounds="PRESSURE_BOUNDS"

PRESSURE_BOUNDS(PRESSURE,dim2)

OCEAN_TRANSPORT(TIME)
  standard_name="ocean_volume_transport_across_line"
  coordinates="TIME PRESSURE LATITUDE LONGITUDE"

Is this reasonable?

Regards, Matthias

On Thu, 2019-01-17 at 06:39 -0700, cf-metadata-request at cgd.ucar.edu

--