⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] ice_sheet/land_ice confusion

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 16:18:37 +0000

Dear Alison, Jonathan,

we do need to be careful about the distinction between snow and ice.

The generally reliable AMS glossary is not much help here: *firn<http://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Firn>" is part of the process of transformation from *snow<http://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Snow>* to *land ice* , *land ice<http://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Land_ice>* is a layer of *ice* formed on land and *ice<http://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Ice>* includes snow, which leaves the definition of "firn" a bit wanting.

For the glaciologists, the transformation snow --> firn --> ice appears to be well established, but there are other usages in which ice includes snow. In cloud physics it seems to be clear that snow flakes are ice crystals.

regards,

Martin