⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] ice_sheet / land_ice confusion

From: Manning, Evan M <Evan.M.Manning>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 10:36:56 +0000

I've been looking at ice/snow land/sea area types too.

I have a microwave algorithm that together with a DEM separates the world into four mutually exclusive categories:
  - land with ice or snow
  - land without ice or snow
  - lake/sea with ice or snow
  - lake/sea without ice or snow

I'm currently planning to use:
   "ice_and_snow_on_land"
   "land"
   "lake_ice_or_sea_ice"
   "sea" or "ice_free_sea"

"ice_and_snow_on_land" is perfect.

I'd like to replace "land" with something like "land_without_snow_or_ice". The closest choices are "bare_ground", "snow_free_land", and "ice_free_land". I assume "bare_ground" means no vegetation, not no frozen water, so I'm avoiding it. (There's no help text.)

I guess "lake_ice_or_sea_ice" is OK. I'd like it better if it explicitly included snow, but probably the assumption is that snow that's on lake/sea and not over ice will melt immediately?

If there is no need to mention snow for water surfaces then "ice_free_sea" is pretty good. But it's odd there's no option for "ice_free_lake" or "ice_free_lake_or_sea".

  -- Evan