⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for sea surface roughness variables

From: Saulter, Andrew <andrew.saulter>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 09:30:03 +0000

Good morning Jonathon,

Was nice to have a weekend's reflection on this, not least because I also got a bit more feedback from some of my other waves colleagues (thanks Fabrice).

A quick fundamental, the reason we need to have some form of 'along' and 'across' follows the same argument as the 'spread' conversation. Basically, wave energy in a given sea-state is not uni-directional, so we have a dominant/mean direction that gets calculated, but there will be a component of wave energy (with associated height, period, slope characteristics etc.) that runs normal to this.

In terms of what the "direction" really is, the suggestion I've been given is "upwave", i.e. a wave equivalent of "upwind" and, therefore, same as "wave_from_direction" (correcting my initial suggestion of "to" in the previous post).

This gives us a few choices for names I think?

Least verbose:
Direction: sea_surface_upwave_mean_square_slope_direction / sea_surface_wave_mean_square_slope_from_direction*
Parallel component: sea_surface_upwave_mean_square_slope
Normal component: sea_surface_cross_wave_mean_square_slope

More verbose (but perhaps more clear?):
Direction: sea_surface_upwave_mean_square_slope_direction / sea_surface_wave_mean_square_slope_from_direction*
Parallel component: sea_surface_wave_mean_square_slope_along_upwave_direction
Normal component: sea_surface_wave_mean_square_slope_across_upwave_direction

More consistent with existing names (but possibly least clear?):
Direction: sea_surface_wave_mean_square_slope_from_direction
Parallel component: sea_surface_wave_mean_square_slope_along_from_direction
Normal component: sea_surface_wave_mean_square_slope_across_from_direction

* if we use _from_direction in conjunction with _upwave, then we need to add some text to link the two terms in the standard name definition.

Any of these make sense?
Cheers
Andy

PS. Devon is geographically 'up' from Cornwall - but definitely 'down' in terms of the quality of pasties, clotted cream and beer....