⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for sea surface roughness variables

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 20:31:05 +0100

Dear Andy

> Re the _mean_square_slope, I was probably over-thinking it. I'd also be happy to lose the magnitude part; i.e. sea_surface_wave_[xy]_mean_square_slope

OK - fine!

> Fabrice highlighted that in addition to the grid x-y reference frame, it a number of users would wish to consider mean_square_slope in an along-across axis reference frame, where the axis used is a variable in its own right (e.g. a dominant slope direction derived from the wave spectrum, or estimated from wind direction). My suspicion is that x-y really implies 'grid' and not 'along-across', so that we would then need to additionally specify something like:
>
> Along: sea_surface_wave_mean_square_slope_parallel_to_dominant_direction
> Across: sea_surface_wave_mean_square_slope_normal_to_dominant_direction
> Directional variable: sea_surface_wave_mean_square_slope_dominant_to_direction

Yes, x and y are grid directions, so you are right, you need different names
for those directions. We have quite a lot of names for waves already with
"direction" but not including "dominant", so can we omit "dominant"? Or does
"dominant" mean the same as "primary" in such existing names?