⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for sea surface roughness variables

From: Saulter, Andrew <andrew.saulter>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 11:50:13 +0000

Dear Jonathon

Thanks a lot for the response.

Glad you are happy with the Charnock

Re the _mean_square_slope, I was probably over-thinking it. I'd also be happy to lose the magnitude part; i.e. sea_surface_wave_[xy]_mean_square_slope

One further query, before I over-think something else! I've been speaking to my colleague Fabrice Ardhuin, who is significantly more expert in these parameters than I am. Fabrice highlighted that in addition to the grid x-y reference frame, it a number of users would wish to consider mean_square_slope in an along-across axis reference frame, where the axis used is a variable in its own right (e.g. a dominant slope direction derived from the wave spectrum, or estimated from wind direction). My suspicion is that x-y really implies 'grid' and not 'along-across', so that we would then need to additionally specify something like:

Along: sea_surface_wave_mean_square_slope_parallel_to_dominant_direction
Across: sea_surface_wave_mean_square_slope_normal_to_dominant_direction
Directional variable: sea_surface_wave_mean_square_slope_dominant_to_direction

But perhaps not, and a broader interpretation of x-y can be made that allows and interpretation of parallel-normal??

What do you reckon?

Cheers
Andy