⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Platform Heave

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 14:29:51 -0400

Hi.

Good catch, Jonathan! I botched the yaw definitions. It should be 'about
the local vertical axis'.

I defined each rotation in isolation, as I found it difficult to deal
with all of the different issues AND find language that would be clear
as to which axis is being referred to. The direction in relation to an
extrinsic coordinate system of a given body or motion frame axis after a
rotation about some other axis is dependent on the order of application.
If you follow a roll-pitch-yaw sequence, then yaw is not around the
local vertical axis, nor is pitch around an axis perpendicular to the
local vertical axis. Likewise, if you follow a yaw-pitch-roll sequence,
the pitch axis is not perpendicular to the nominal forward motion axis,
nor is the roll axis perpendicular to the local vertical axis.

If people think it's important to note that these definitions are
describing the rotations in isolation, I'm happy for someone to take a
stab at that verbiage.

Grace and peace,

Jim

On 9/13/18 12:15 PM, Lowry, Roy K. wrote:

> Hi John,
>

> Your Q2 has been discussed at length.?The local vertical axis is
> indeed?local to the platform, as are the axes running front to back
> and left to right.
>

> Your eagle eyes have indeed spotted something I missed in the yaw
> definition ' 'Yaw is a rotation about the axis of rotation' should I
> think?read 'Yaw is a rotation about the local vertical axis'.
>

> I HATE 'smart' quotes and Microsoft's mission to make every quote
> smart through auto-correction!
>

> Cheers, Roy.
>

> I have now retired but will continue to be active through an Emeritus
> Fellowship using this e-mail address.

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/Connect with us on Facebook for climate
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us
on Twitter at _at_NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and
_at_NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. /