⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Platform Heave

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 15:18:47 +0100

Dear Jim

> If that's the general consensus, then we can go that general
> direction. I'll prepare pairs of everything.

Thank you for your flexibility.

> Regarding Nan's suggestions for names - I'm not a "ship person" so
> starboard and port are unfamiliar terms that I have to constantly
> check myself on. I dislike putting them in the names. I don't see
> them in regular use in the satellite domain. The same goes for bow
> as far as usage outside of the ship domain. Airplanes have noses.
> Satellites have ... I don't know if there is even a name, as there
> is no need for a leading edge. I'll struggle to find something, and
> then we can wrangle over it.

I agree with you - it would be better to have something generic and self-
explanatory, even if it diverges from familiar terminology.

> I think the "most intuitive" way to represent the angles - and most
> consistent as well, in my view - is clockwise rotations around the
> unit vectors. This makes positive yaw to starboard, positive pitch
> nose up, and positive roll starboard up. But we are talking about
> having both signs represented in names, so I guess that is moot.

I agree with this too. For describing polygonal bounds, we say that the
vertices should be traversed anticlockwise as seen from above. That is a
positive direction of rotation around the vertical axis, since longitude-
latitude-upward is a right-handed coordinate system. I suppose this is the
yaw rotation - but is that the opposite sign from yours?