⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Platform Heave

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 16:44:15 -0400

Nan,

I didn't go to the lengths of making new regularized definitions before
I wrote that list. I was thinking in terms of making the
clockwise/anticlockwise call based on the right hand rule and the unit
vector for each axis. For roll, for example, if the X unit vector faces
forward, the "right side down" roll is actually anticlockwise - that is,
it is in the direction that your right hand fingers curl if you grab the
unit vector in your hand with your thumb pointing in the same direction
as the unit vector. That definition is independent of observer location
and look direction. My definitions for all the direction values are
following that same convention.

Accurate knowledge of the sign of roll, pitch, and yaw is critical in
the satellite and aircraft world. The look angles for remote sensors are
affected by these values. I get it that not all systems care about the
signed values, so that reason and for backward compatibility I suggested
that we could change the definitions to avoid declaring which direction
is positive, make the direction attribute optional, and say that users
should be careful about assuming the directionality for variables
lacking the attribute.

Grace and peace,

Jim