⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Platform Heave

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 10:41:16 -0400

I freely admit that I picked direction on sway arbitrarily. In my
experience, part of the variation that arises in the definitions of the
different motions arises from different thoughts about their use,
particularly whether someone is thinking the values are used to
transform into the platform body frame vs transform from it. Or maybe
they just aren't worrying about consistency. Like as not, choices have
often been made in attempts to make the values have the signed-ness that
felt right to people, and we can't keep to conventions like the right
hand rule and make it all work consistently. We want a positive pitch to
be nose up. We want a positive yaw to be nose right. We want positive
heave to be up. My natural tendency is to think of "roll right" as
positive and "sway right" as positive, but that isn't what other people
think of.

As I read what I wrote, I realize I didn't use a consistent approach to
position and look direction when assigning clockwise and anticlockwise
to roll, pitch, and yaw. I need to regularize that.

Reading the Conventions about vertical coordinates, it says they must
all have a "positive" attribute with a value of "up" or "down". I don't
see a problem with having the definitions back off of declaring a
specific directionality and add an attribute declaring directionality.
We could call the attribute "direction" so as not to step on the
"positive" attribute, and say that if the attribute is not present that
the user should not assume which direction is correct.

If we declare that X is positive forward, that Y is positive left, that
Z is positive up, and that we use the right-hand rule for angle
directions, the direction attribute values could be:

  * roll: "clockwise" for positive right side up and "anticlockwise" for
    positive right side down.
  * pitch: "clockwise" for positive nose up and "anticlockwise" for
    positive nose down.
  * yaw: "clockwise" for positive nose right and "anticlockwise" for
    positive nose left.
  * surge: "positive" for positive forward and "negative" for positive
    backward.
  * sway: "positive" for positive left and "negative" for positive right.
  * heave: "positive" for positive up and "negative" for positive down.

Thoughts?

BTW, I'll be out until August 13.

Grace and peace,

Jim

On 8/2/18 12:58 PM, Kenneth Kehoe wrote:
> Thanks Nan and Roy for the positive direction information. I did the
> Google search as Roy suggested and I found more images with Jim's
> definition of positive with starboard down, but there are enough with
> starboard up to think it's not a standard. This does point out my main
> concern with putting positive direction in the standard name. Would we
> then need to create a new standard name with the only difference being
> the positive direction? I'm OK with doing this but I worry about the
> increase of names. I think this needs to be a different discussion,
> but putting the positive direction in an attribute makes the most
> logical sense to me. I did take a stab at trying to define a standard
> at this and it was not great.
>
> So at this time I'm proposing that if we define roll, sway we need to
> define them twice to get both positive directions defined and
> available for use. I don't think CF should force a convention on the
> data, the user should be free to represent the data as it is produced
> by the instrument.
>
> FYI a very quick search of the data products we produce:
>
> * pitch with nose up positive: 6
> * roll with right side down positive: 6
> * yaw with clockwise positive: 1
> * sway with toward left side positive: 1
> * surge with toward bow positive: 1
> * heave with up positive: 1
>

> Ken
>

> On 2018-8-2 09:29, Nan Galbraith wrote:
>> Thank you, Jim, well done.
>>
>> My only concern is that platform_orientation is describing the same
>> angle
>> as yaw, and maybe should be deprecated.? The web is full of
>> references to
>> 'platform orientation', and a very quick check tells me they (mainly)
>> refer to
>> all 3 axes.
>>
>> I tried to check the sign of roll for ADCPs, since this is a variable
>> that's output
>> by the Teledyne-RDIs that we use, but I don't have the time to do a
>> thorough job
>> at this point. If different communities define this differently,
>> Maybe we'll need to
>> consider using an attribute.
>>
>> Cheers - Nan
>>
>> On 8/2/18 5:01 AM, Lowry, Roy K. wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>

>>> You're not going to believe this, but try Googling 'pitch roll yaw'
>>> and look through the images at the?roll sign convention. This
>>> reveals some inconsistency on whether?positive roll is clockwise
>>> when looking forward (Jim's definition)?or looking backward (Ken's
>>> definition).
>>>

>>> My personal experience from going to sea was that positive roll was
>>> port to?starboard?- i.e. clockwise when looking forward. I'm pretty
>>> sure the roll data?streams we handle (Autosub and gliders)
>>> also?conform to this convention, but will ask somebody to check.
>>>

>>> Could I suggest that Ken also?check his definition sources and data
> [...]

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>