⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new vertical coordinate

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:33:44 +0100

Dear Beate

I think what you propose would be fine. However, we could go further. If we
include this discussion below, we could say that gal_chen and ztop could be
provided as an alternative to a and b.

----- Forwarded message from Beate.Geyer at gkss.de -----

> The height coordinate after Gal-Chen and Somerville, 1975, is
a special case of hybrid height, defined by
> gal-chen(k) = ztop*( z(k,j,i)-zs(j,i) )/( ztop-zs(j,i) )
> where gal-chen(k) is the Gal-Chen height of the vertical gridpoint (k),
> z(k,j,i) is altitude at gridpoint (k,j,i), ztop is the height at the top
> of the model, and zs(j,i) is the surface altitude at horizontal gridpoint
> (j,i) (topography),
giving
> a(k)= gal-chen(k) and b(k)= 1 - gal-chen(k)/ztop
To describe a Gal-Chen hybrid-height coordinate, gal-chen and ztop may be
specified in formula_terms instead of a and b.