⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for wave model data.

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 18:02:06 +0100

Dear John

Some comments

> We could use "wind_and_swell_wave" instead of just "wave" in the
> following names.
Yes, I think "wave" needs clarifying somehow. There are many kinds of wave in
the Earth System! If not wind_and_swell, maybe some other phrase that indicates
ocean surface waves?

> standard_name = "direction_of_wave_velocity" ;
> standard_name = "wave_spectrum_direction" ;
What's the difference between these? Do they need to be different stdnames?

> standard_name = "wave_spectrum_energy" ;
> units = "m2 s-1" ;
The units of m2 are not units of energy. Perhaps it's the square of the
wave amplitude, or the RMS amplitude?

> This variable would be used to describe the (zero upcrossing) wave
> period at each location:
> standard_name = "wave_period" ;
What does zero-upcrossing mean? If it is an essential distinction from other
definitions of period, perhaps it should be included in the stdname?

> This variable would be used to describe the period at which peak wave
> energy occurs at each location:
> standard_name = "peak_period_of_wave_field" ;
This could be given a standard name of wave_period and a cell_methods of
"wave_energy: maximum" (with above comments on wave_period and wave_energy).