⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Geyer and Ruane standard names

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:31:32 +0100

Dear Jonathan and Beate,

Thank you both for your comments on the following names.

http://www.geo-observations.com/Information/Whatissoilsuction.html
> > > It is used for parameterization of land surface processes in
models:
> > > http://www.lmd.jussieu.fr/pcmdi-
> mirror/modeldoc/amip2/ukmo_98a/ukmo_a.html
> > Thank you for the references. I suggest modifying this name
slightly to
> > total_soil_suction_at_saturation; Pa
>
> I wonder what distinction would be drawn by putting "total"? I would
> suggest
> that if there are various things to be summed, it would be better to
be
> more
> explicit, because words like "total" and "net" are not informative to
> those
> who do not know the context e.g. we use "downwelling" vs "net
downward"
> for
> radiation, but sometimes the former is called "total" - but that isn't
> helpful
> if you're not aware of the contrast with "net".

I certainly accept the need to avoid confusion. According to the
literature I read in relation to this proposal, total soil suction =
matric soil suction + osmotic soil suction. The generally used term for
this quantity does indeed appear to be "total soil suction" and I
suggested this because I felt it was more precise than simply "soil
suction". However, if we all feel that it is not necessary to qualify
the term any further I am content to go with the original proposal of
soil_suction_at_saturation.

8. >
> > I propose the following names which, admittedly, are more verbose
but I
> think they make the meaning clearer:

atmosphere_energy_residual_due_to_change_in_sigma_coordinate_with_surfac
e_
> pressure: J m-2

energy_residual_of_atmosphere_layer_due_to_change_in_sigma_coordinate_wi
th
> _surface_pressure: J m-2
>
> I think the explicit "due_to" is a good idea. I wonder if "wrt" would
be
> better
> than "with". I don't think the word "residual" will be clear, though.
> Could it
> be called change_in_atmosphere_energy_content_due_to...? Also it needs
> be
> clarified which variety of energy content is meant.

I think we are now agreed on
change_in_atmosphere_energy_content_due_to_change_in_sigma_coordinate_wr
t_surface_pressure: J m-2
change_in_energy_content_of_atmosphere_layer_due_to_change_in_sigma_coor
dinate_wrt_surface_pressure: J m-2

10.>
> > atmosphere_rate_of_absorption_of_net_shortwave|longwave_energy: W
m-2

rate_of_absorption_of_net_shortwave|longwave_energy_in_atmosphere_layer:
> W m-2
> Perhaps "net" would go better before "rate"?

That sounds sensible. I am happy with
atmosphere_net_rate_of_absorption_of_shortwave|longwave_energy: W m-2
net_rate_of_absorption_of_shortwave|longwave_energy_in_atmosphere_layer:
W m-2

> > > 16. one additional variable concerning water in soil
> > > volume_fraction_of_water_in_soil_at_critical_point
> > The name is fine. I had some difficulty finding a reference to
> > temperature and pressure values giving a clear definition of the
> > critical point of water.
> I suspect this is a different critical point - one referring to soil
and
> hydrology.
Thank you for pointing this out. I will await the references that Beate
has agreed to find.

Best wishes,
Alison