⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Geyer and Ruane standard names

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 13:21:20 +0100

Dear Alison

> > 3. > soil_suction_at_saturation; Saturation soil suction; m
> > I am not sufficiently expert to define this. Could you please supply a
> > definition of soil suction?
> > A: http://www.geo-observations.com/Information/Whatissoilsuction.html
> > It is used for parameterization of land surface processes in models:
> > http://www.lmd.jussieu.fr/pcmdi-mirror/modeldoc/amip2/ukmo_98a/ukmo_a.html
> Thank you for the references. I suggest modifying this name slightly to
> total_soil_suction_at_saturation; Pa

I wonder what distinction would be drawn by putting "total"? I would suggest
that if there are various things to be summed, it would be better to be more
explicit, because words like "total" and "net" are not informative to those
who do not know the context e.g. we use "downwelling" vs "net downward" for
radiation, but sometimes the former is called "total" - but that isn't helpful
if you're not aware of the contrast with "net".

> I propose the following names which, admittedly, are more verbose but I think they make the meaning clearer:
> atmosphere_energy_residual_due_to_change_in_sigma_coordinate_with_surface_pressure: J m-2
> energy_residual_of_atmosphere_layer_due_to_change_in_sigma_coordinate_with_surface_pressure: J m-2

I think the explicit "due_to" is a good idea. I wonder if "wrt" would be better
than "with". I don't think the word "residual" will be clear, though. Could it
be called change_in_atmosphere_energy_content_due_to...? Also it needs to be
clarified which variety of energy content is meant.

> atmosphere_rate_of_absorption_of_net_shortwave|longwave_energy: W m-2
> rate_of_absorption_of_net_shortwave|longwave_energy_in_atmosphere_layer: W m-2
Perhaps "net" would go better before "rate"?

> > 16. one additional variable concerning water in soil
> > volume_fraction_of_water_in_soil_at_critical_point
> The name is fine. I had some difficulty finding a reference to temperature and pressure values giving a clear definition of the critical point of water.
I suspect this is a different critical point - one referring to soil and
hydrology.

best wishes

Jonathan