⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names

From: Beate.Geyer at gkss.de <Beate.Geyer>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:44:45 +0200

Dear cf-metadata,

 I propose additional standard names.
To separate them from my previous proposals I continue the numbering from
my last emails.

24. snow_density; kg m-3
25. surface_net_downward_radiative_flux_where_land; kg m-3
26. volume_fraction_of_frozen_water_in_soil; 1
27. liquid_water_content_of_snow_layer; kg m-2

open answers from 10.Apr.2006-email
1.
 downward_heat_flux_at_ground_level_in_snow (already in list) is OK
instead of snow_basal_heat_flux
2.
> > atmosphere_eastward|northward_stress_due_to_diffusion:Pa
> Are these momentum fluxes directed upwards or downward i.e. tending to
> accelerate the atmosphere below or above the level on which they are
given?
> (I realise this is an ambiguity about the gravity-wave stresses too.)
Since
> stresses are tensors, they need two signed directions to specify them.

The momentum fluxes as well as the other vertical fluxes are positive
when downwards in ECMWF convention.

Best regards,
Beate Geyer
 Dr. Beate Geyer