⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] sea_area

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:26:32 +0100

Karl, Balaji and I propose a standard name of sea_area (m2), corresponding to
sea_area_fraction (dimensionless). It is the area of sea within the grid cell.

Other such area names might be requested. As with the area fractions, to
prevent proliferation for numerous surface cover types, we might want to
restrict them to those area_fractions which have already been introduced,
and for others to use a generalised "area" standard name and require a
surface_cover coordinate or scalar coordinate with it. This is an instance
of a general issue of how many specific varieties of name to define, the
alternative being to factorise some of the information into a coordinate
variable.

Jonathan