⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_name.xml

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 10:55:32 +0100

Hi John,

The CF to GCMD mapping is the one we require for NDG and is where I can be most help. GRIB is lower on down on my interest list but I might be persuaded otherwise. This work is down in my year plan for August/September and I can't really bring it forward so if you're in a hurry you will have to press on without me. My expertise pool is in the oceanographic domain and chemistry/biology so I suggest that you initially focus on the atmospheric domain.

The OWL files you have downloaded are probably out of date (my guess is they were generated last July: I don't think they are being maintained), but could be used to help you get to grips with the VINE tool (not hard). Before doing any work for real you certainly need updated files for CF - Jonathan has been quite busy - and probably GCMD (I'm sure you would find Luis helpful here).

Cheers, Roy.

>>> John Caron <caron at unidata.ucar.edu> 04/06/06 11:28 PM >>>

Hi Roy:

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. A few comments below.

Roy Lowry wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> Mapping CF Standard names to GCMD Parameter Valids to the public
> domain 'variable' level shouldn't be a problem as the GCMD vocabulary
> is clearly a discovery vocabulary. The issues Bryan is eluding to
> result from trying to map a usage vocabulary (one containing terms
> that fully describe a data value) because vital information for the
> mapping (e.g. whether a value is a mean or a standard deviation) are
> held in CF fields other than the Standard Name.
>
> Are you aware of the MMI vocabulary mapping workshop that was held in
> Boulder last August? CF was one of the vocabs used, but the work
> really only scratched the surface looking at maybe half a dozen
> terms. There should still be an OWL version of CF on the MMI site
> (as well as GCMD), but this will a snapshot that is now well out of
> date.

> There is however an open source tool to convert the XML to OWL
> (voc2OWL) and a very neat mapping tool (VINE). The resulting map is
> an OWL file that can be used with web services also provided by MMI
> to build a thesaurus server. I would strongly recommend their
> approach.

I have grabbed the files at

http://marinemetadata.org/2005/02/cf
http://marinemetadata.org/2005/02/gcmd

they are OWL XML files. Are these the ones you are recommending?

> The one issue with the GCMD parameter valids that was never properly
> sorted at Boulder is that the mapping was done to GCMD variable terms
> without their overlying term hierarchy, which took no account of the
> fact that EARTH SCIENCE > Biosphere > Animal Taxonomy > Fish and
> EARTH SCIENCE > Oceans > Marine Biology > Fish are different. I
> know Luis Bermudez of MMI was looking at this issue, but don't know
> how far he got.
>
> Building an ontology mapping between CF and GCMD was on my agenda for
> later this year to provide the capability to NDG for entering a CF
> Standard Name into a discovery portal and finding DIFs marked up
> using GCMD parameter valids. But I'm more than happy for someone
> else to make a start and would of course be happy to help once the
> time slot I've allocated for later this year comes around.

Yes, I need

 CF standard name -> GCMD parameter valid

and also

 Grib1/Grib2 parameter -> GCMD parameter valid

I have a simple start on the latter, courtesy of Gene Major at GCMD.

Im unclear on whats all needed to implement the service you describe?

> Cheers, Roy.

Thanks!