⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] REASoN CAN Data Portal Project

From: carl wolfteich <cwolfteich>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:48:09 -0400

I am working with Peter Cornillon's group here at URI-GSO on the NASA
funded project of developing a thematic web portal to satellite-derived
ocean surface properties, part of the REASoN CAN Project. The portal
will actually consist of a suite of five thematic data portals
corresponding to SST, surface winds, Sea surface height, ocean color and
surface precipitation. I will be incorporating a standard vocabulary to
use for searching the datasets in this site and have found that the CF
Standard Name Table contains most of the variables/parameters in the
dataset list. This is a link to the present list of variables, using
the CF naming convention, which will get larger as I add more OPeNDAP
datasets to the list:

http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/projectcf.html

My question to you concerns the variables used for wind pseudostress
data. There will be several datasets in this project with pseudostress
data yet there does not seem to be a parameter for this on the CF
Standard Name List. These data are in the form of "surface northward
pseudostress" and "surface eastward pseudostress" and I have named them
accordingly on my list. But I was wondering what the procedure would be
to request additional variables to the standard CF list. I would like
to see pseudostress variables added to the list in the near future. Can
you advise me of the protocol for requesting additional variables to the
CF list? I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

Carl Wolfteich
URI-GSO
cwolfteich at gso.uri.edu