⇐ ⇒

Fwd: [CF-metadata] Variable Associations (was CF convention for vector quantities)

From: Bryan Lawrence <b.n.lawrence>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:30:49 +0000

Hi Jonathan

I think it's quite clear that the vertical components don't fit into the
algorithm you describe. What about helping software plot residual mean
circulations? Wind barbs, whatever. I'd like software to direct users what
things are vectors ... so I utterly agree with Bert. Otherwise we'll have to
put it in external metadata (the CF pages are external metadata, and far too
unresponsive for this application).

Note that i am not suggesting a change to the standard names, i'm suggesting a
new way of linking variables. We already suspect we have to do this for
grids ...

... and I'm sure it would simplify vector handling. Code can simply ignore
assocations it doesn't understand, but providing directives helps code
writers.

I don't really understand the objection. We have at least one use case for
doing so (Bert's), and he's already indicated that if we don't do it in CF
he'll do it in an external file ... which is nuts ...

I don't have time to write out a formal proposal, but it doesn't need to be
complicated. Just a set of new file attributes that link variables with
assocations from a (new) controlled vocabulary.

Cheers
Bryan