⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] accessory parameters

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:22:10 +0000

Hello Jonathan,

I'm pretty sure Nan was talking about membrane temperature, which instrumental oceanographers tend to refer to as 'OxyT'. If I'm wrong I'm sure she'll let you know.

The current is electrical current in milliamps (known as OxyC) flowing through the membrane. In simplistic terms oxygen concentration is computed from OxyC and OxyT - but there's a lot more to it. I think suffice to say that the derivation of oxygen concentration from OxyC and OxyT is a controversial subject. It has therefore become common practice to store the raw parameters in the final dataset as well as the derived concentration. It is of course perfectly possible for datasets to exist with just OxyC and OxyT but no concentration (of limited use, but we've received them!). Is this starting to make any kind of sense?

Cheers, Roy.

>>> Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk> 03/20/06 1:50 PM >>>
Dear Roy

> Main reason I used 'oxygen probe membrane temperature' was to distinguish between two temperatures (membrane and ambient water) returned by some types of YSI oxygen sensor.

OK. I wonder which Nan meant.

> Oxygen membrane temperature is of no value unless accompanied by the current flowing through the membrane, which is the parameter used with the temperature to calculate oxygen concentration. It therefore not a qualifier of the oxygen concentration in the way you suggest.

Are you saying that both oxygen membrane temperature and current (is that
m3 s-1?) through the membrane are both used to calculate oxygen concentration?
What I meant was, will they be stored with the oxygen concentration, or do they
need to be able to be stored separately? Likewise, will the water temperature
in the oxygen sensor be stored separately?

Cheers