⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] accessory parameters

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:12:59 +0000

Dear Roy cc Nan and all

Thanks for your list. I agree that we should give these standard names, as and
when they are requested. Nan originally asked about "the water temperature
returned by an oxygen sensor". Is this the same as what you called "oxygen
probe membrane"? Nan's sounds more generic.

Are quantities like this required only in association with some other quantity?
For instance, is the water temperature in the oxygen temperature an ancillary
parameter of the oxygen concentration measurement, and the temperature of pH
determination an ancillary parameter of the pH value? If that's the case, we
could regard these as "standard name parameters", like the reference pressure
defining the exner function or the name of the ellipsoid being used for sea
surface height. If they were subsidiary in that sense, all these different
temperatures wouldn't need different names, as they would be identifiable by
being pointed to by different data variables.

Alternatively, do you think that the water temperature measured by the oxygen
sensor might be stored by itself, separated from the oxygen measurement, and
so have to be identified by itself?