⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposed new vertical coordinate

From: Ben Foster <foster>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 10:14:50 -0700 (MST)

Karl,

Thanks for the endorsement. We use the coord name "lev" because
several "generic" netCDF applications recognize this as a vertical
coordinate array. In programming our own applications we typically
use "zp" or "zplev". We also include another coord array "ilev" on
the histories, which is the same as lev, except its at the cell
interfaces rather than the midpoints (as reflected in the long_name).
Most fields are calculated at the midpoints, with a few exceptions,
such as geopotential height and electron density, which are calculated
on interfaces.

In publications, we sometimes use "ln(p0/p)" as a label for the
vertical axis of plots, with a brief explanation in the figure caption
or the text.

This coordinate is analogous to the upper part of the
 atmosphere_hybrid_sigma_pressure_coordinate that is used by the
NCAR CAM model, where ground topography sigma is no longer in play.
We do not generally include ground effects because our model's
lbc is in the upper stratosphere (except indirectly via gravity
wave parameterization).

--Ben